As I was driving to work today, listening to CBC radio (I know... I'm old...) I heard a couple U of A student talking about blogging while losing weight. What better way to make you more accountable then telling the whole interweb about every victorious pound gone (or every annoying pound up...)
If you think you can only eat chicken breast and broccoli while losing weight... THINK AGAIN! I love, LOVE to cook (and eat...) I strive to make clean (meaning not from a box) & healthy meals daily. Why not tell you all about the yummy things I cook up while loosing the pounds that I gained over Christmas.
Oh, that part I said about gaining weight over Christmas... not entirely true. I did gain weight over Christmas but I kinda stopped working out and generally caring about my weight in August. You see, when you train for the Death Race (24km mountain run!) harder than you have trained for anything and some bitch from Edmonton was placed on your team and took pictures of the race instead of RUNNING the race and you don't make the time cut off so you do not even get to run the flipping race... in your defeated stupor you might be inclined to quit working out completely... yea, that was in August.
So here I am. I have a 2 sizes too small bridesmaid dress officially ordered with the wedding in July! I have no choice but to loose the inches!
The goal: 25 pounds in 5 months.
Coconut Curry Shrimp!
My favorite dish at any Thai kitchen is green or red curry chicken (right Britta?) A couple of months ago I set out to make a lower cal version of this amazing dish.
It has quickly become a staple in our home! It is uber-simple and so delish! I tried it with tofu the other day and... forget about the tofu and go for shrimp or (double up on the pepper and mushrooms and go vegan)!
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 2 tbsp red or green Thai Kitchen curry paste
- 1 red pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots (or about 6 baby carrots)
- 5 large mushrooms
- 4 leaves fresh basil - coarsely cut
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil or olive oil
- 1 package raw shrimp (about 30)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Heat oil up in a large skillet. Cut up onion, red pepper and carrots coarsely. Saute veggie's until tender.
- Add mushrooms, basil, water, coconut milk, curry paste, salt and pepper. (I usually would skip the salt on most recipes but it really isn't the same without salt for this one!) Bring to a boil, stir and then simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add raw shrimp. Cook until shrimp are pink and cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Serve with rice or as is. Enjoy!
Cals: 183; Fat: 9.3 g; Sodium: 165 mg; Carbs: 12.7 g; Fiber: 2.2 g; Sugars: 4.7; Protein: 14.5 g