Weight: 154.6 lbs
Who doesn't love a nice dish of creamy, cheesy, delicious baked pasta? How about creamy, low-fat, high fiber, cheesy goodness? Yes my friends, it is possible! Guilt-free, healthy comfort food - here we come!
Four-Cheese Baked Pasta
Kinda, sorta from this recipe
1 1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella, divided
1 cup part-skim ricotta
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat penne
2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups crushed tomatoes (canned or about 5 medium processed in a food processor or blender)
4 cups chopped spinach
1 cup tomato sauce
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tbsp roasted garlic and peppers seasoning (my new love!)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
- Heat oven to 400°
- Combine cottage cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella, ricotta, basil and parsley in a bowl.
- Cook pasta until tender but still firm; drain. **It is important that you do not cook the pasta at this point or your dish will be soupy after baking.
- Heat oil in a large pot/frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring, 30 seconds more. Add chopped spinach and let wilt, about 1 minute. (Tip: if you want to add bulk to a pasta dish without adding thecarbs and calories of pasta, add spinach to the sauce instead! Add LOTS because it wilts down to nothing.)
- Add tomatoes, sauce, oregano, rosemary, roasted garlic and pepper seasoning, salt, pepper flakes and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat; simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Add pasta; turn off heat. Stir in cheese-parsley mixture.
- Coat a 9" x 13" glass baking dish with cooking spray; transfer pasta mixture to dish. Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake until heated through and cheese melts, 30 minutes. Don't forget to put the broiler on for the last minute of cooking (resulting in a brown bubbly cheese!)
Makes 6 servings
The Cheesy Line Up!
Calories: 296; Total Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 25mg; Sodium: 500mg; Carbs: 30g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 20g