Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Yay for Active Days!


Working out to EA Active sporting my Bodybugg

Weight: 154.6 lbs (down 1.2lbs!)

I am super excited about the weight loss today! Yesterday morning was slightly depressing at 155 again.. I still hadn't lost the weekend binge weight from 2 weekends ago but now I am down past that.

I called Calista's Bridal yesterday to get the measurements of the dress I am trying to fit into (good idea eh?) and I am pretty excited! I need to lose:

1/2 inch from my chest
3 inches from my waist
0 inches from my hips (I am actually 2 inches smaller than the dress around my hips!)

The wedding is July 3rd. That means in 4 months (June 10th) I have to be where I will be on July 3rd! Can I do 25 lbs in 4 months?
That's only 1.5 lbs a week, that is TOTALLY doable!

Yesterday was a very positive day for me. I ate great and worked my body very hard; I feel great today! I am into EA Active like never before. I do it as soon as I get home from work, no questions. Even if I don't make it downstairs to the punching bag, I get onto the wii. I am doing the 30-day challenge developed by Bob Greene (you know Oprah's trainer) and it's really great! Do I actually sweat and work my legs to complete fatigue while playing a video game? You know it!

Yesterday after my EA Active, I made a yummy dinner of Skinny Sloppy Joes (buns made from the master recipe!) and bison meat sauce. Yum!

My girlfriend Lindsey (the bride of the July 3rd wedding) and I have been going to deep water aerobics Tuesdays and Thursdays for a couple of weeks now. We decided to go an hour early and walk/run on a treadmill for 45 minutes before. Yesterday I burned about 2800 calories (a usual day is about 2400 calories).

I had an epiphany yesterday on my drive back from water aerobics. I was thinking about how I was doing all of this exercise to lose weight and fit into a dress but I began to think about my life after the dress and the weight loss. For the first time it struck me that it will be the same as now, this is my new life. Everyday activity, working out, spending time with friends doing fun and active things. These are my new habits, not a short term act to lose a few pounds and fit into a dress. I think this is the first time where I didn't see an end to my healthy habits. In the past it has always been for something other than a healthy life; training for the Death Race, training for a swim meet, mostly for weight loss until I was at some arbitrary number where I was happy with myself but never got there; this time is different. I think this might be the true key to getting and STAYING happy and healthy. We shall see!

Food for Thought:
From Michael Pollan's book In Defense of Food

Avoid food products containing ingredients that are:
a) unfamiliar
b) unpronounceable
c) more than 5 in number
d) include high-fructose corn syrup

Take a look at the ingredients list for a Sara Lee's loaf of bread here. It fails every single one of these food rules. Most of us recognize things like guar gum and monoglycerides; these chemicals we see readily in foods. This is not to say that we should be eating them, but they are familiar to us (which is kind of sad...). But even as a Science major, I have never heard of azodicarbonamide and I cannot pronounce it. When we don't recognize an ingredient and we are unable to pronounce it, let's not ingest it! There are 32 ingredients in a simple loaf of bread and high fructose corn syrup is the fourth ingredient!

There is no doubt in my mind that this loaf of bread has crossed over from being a food to being a food product. We should not spend our hard earned pennies on and allow food products to enter our bodies - let's just eat food!

No comments: